July 10, 2011

Happy 1 Month in Peru, Peru 17.

   
Peru 17 Youth Development- Happy One MONTH in Peru :)















It's been one month since I touched down in Peru. I'm already finding it hard to blog about the things going on around me because most of it is beginning to feel very normal. I haven't watched a full program of T.V. since I've been here & it's normal to wake up on day 4 of no shower and NOT have any water. It's normal to talk about how many flea bites you recieved in one night or how you have an ongoing battle with the dog down the street. 

A month ago I arrived in this country with strangers... that have grown to become family- sometimes a very dysfunctional one, but one I've grown to love nonetheless. I also began my adventure of living with a new family who I don't want to leave after these three months are over. I never had sisters, and now I realize how nice it is to have a 3 year old sister that will steal the food I don't want to eat and a 24 year old sister that is always on the same page as me (even in another language). 

Bryanna on her way to school! My host mom, Carmen and Dasha with her.


Mi hermana, Melissa, turning 24. This cake was made by my mom Carmen... que RICO!
It's official... I'm going to ANCASH for Field Based Training. My group leaves around 8 p.m. on Saturday for a 7 hour bus ride to the regional capital called Huaraz. The slogan for Ancash in the Peace Corps is "Ancash is Better". Ancash is a department for possible site placement.
A view in Ancash
I'm really excited for a week filled with HOT SHOWERS, and it's the first time we are going to really feel like Peace Corps Volunteers. We are spending the week visiting current Peace Corps volunteer's sites and teaching our own lessons. The Peace Corps has told us that we come back from this week completely ready to take on the next couple weeks of training, which is nice to hear because training is very exhausting.

We had another school visit this passed week and I loved it. I was able to teach a whole class (about 20 kids) of 10 and 12 year olds.. ENGLISH! They were able to sing the heads, shoulders, knees and toes song by themselves at the end of the session. It's really great watching kids excited about learning something new. The next school (this week) visit we will be doing session plan lessons on self esteem and healthy lifestyles!

It's time for bed! I made baked mac and cheese for my family tonight and it has put me into a FOOD COMA! Hope everyone is well back in the great U. S of A! Please email me! brielle.colby@gmail.com I would love to hear from all of you!

videos of my awesome 3 year old host sister

"The world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, the appetite for adventure over the life of ease." - JFK

-Brielle


No comments:

Post a Comment