June 17, 2012

There's No Crying in Baseball


There can’t be a Mother’s Day post without a Father’s Day post.

When I was in high school my father decided to coach my schools’ softball team. We didn’t have a coach and without him we wouldn’t have had a team. One day during practice I was pitching for batting practice indoors (luckily) and we weren’t using a real ball (thank GOD). I lobbed a ball to my teammate to hit and it came flying back at me. Before I even had time to lift my mitt the ball hit me in the head. I fell to the ground. When I finally came out of my fuzz, I had a huge migraine and all I remember was my father standing above me. I was two seconds from crying when he said very nonchalantly “Rub it, take some Advil, and let’s go.” Now, to some people, this might seem a little harsh. However, because of my father I have been taught to be tough and to remember, “There’s no crying in baseball.”

Before HS Prom
Being in the Peace Corps does mean you need to be mentally tough. You can experience extreme highs and lows within minutes and sometimes you want to quit. You will want to cry-possibly daily- but I always remember my dad, repeating Tom Hanks: “There’s NO crying in baseball.” You can’t wallow in your sadness and discomfort- and I thank my dad for constantly reinforcing that- even these days when I try to call and complain.

Dad and his 3rd and favorite child
I remember when I told my parents I wanted to join the Peace Corps. I thought my parents would think I was kidding. My dad responded before I could finish saying ‘Do I need to sign any papers right now’? Since I was younger, my dad has tried to instill in me something: that I’m not here on Earth to benefit myself, I’m here to benefit others. He believed it was extremely important to get out of my comfort zone, live abroad and give back.

When asked in school ‘Who is your hero?’… I always answered my dad. With most of the odds stacked against him, he overcame and became a great husband and father. I’ll be lucky if I turn out to be half the person he is.


 Happy Father’s Day, Dad, thank you for always pushing me to be better.

"So stand up straight, shoulders back, and start setting goals to make things better for others and yourself. Remember I LOVE you, and will help you to effect change for the good. Finish strong in school, form good networks, ask people if you can help. You are officially an adult, but still my daughter."
-Gerard Colby

Until next time,
Brielle 

No comments:

Post a Comment