September 15, 2011

The days are long, but the years are short.

This blog is a little bit more on a serious note, but I promised those back home that I would let them know what goes on in my everyday life, and sometimes its not all sunshine and roses.

I was going into town the other day for some everyday needs and had planned on making cookies for my host family... on the way back into town my car was stuck in traffic. I was staring at the window at the other side of the road where the cars were moving... pretty quickly... like they always do in Peru. That´s when I saw a man, no older than 30 years old, start to cross the road without looking. I had that feeling like I wanted to scream but I was frozen. I watched the man get hit by the car. Peruvians began screaming and running out of their houses... but by that time it was too late. The man, passed away, right in front of me... on the side of the road. I was in shock. The body was put into a car and driven to the closest hospital. I don´t think my mind registered what had just happened, but my stomache felt sick. I said a little prayer for the man, and my car contuined moving back to Tamarindo.

This brought me back to reality really quickly. Life is short.

 I´ve been reading the book (one thing I love about Peace Corps... I finally have the time to read), The Happiness Project,  about a woman who spent a year trying to find more ways to make her life happier and during the year she realizes certain things that she names ¨Splendid Truths¨. One of her splendid truths, that resonated with me, ïs ¨the days are long, but the years are short¨.

This is something that can apply to my time in the Peace Corps and my life. There are days in Peace Corps, especially when the sun is at full blaze, that it feels like they are dragging along... but as I reflect on my 3 months in Peru... I can´t believe how quickly the time has gone. The days seem long, but the years are short. The same thing applies to my life. I could not be more grateful to be able to live a dream I´ve had since high school. Not everyone gets as lucky. I have an unbelievable support system back home that has allowed me to do amazing things. Diane Ackerman once said (kudos to Claire Austin for this) ¨I do not want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.¨

The days are long, but the years are short.
Because of this, I truly believe its important to live fully, passionately, and to remember to be thankful for everything you recieve.

On a more lighter and MUCH happier note... I finished my first round of English classes this week. This is not something I plan on doing REGULARLY for the next 2 years here... but it is a good way to get to know the kids I will be working with and their parents very much appreciate the time I´m taking to teach them. It´s a good way to tener confianza (for those of you who don´t know what this means... LOOK IT UP!) I taught for 3 hours on Wednesday and I´ve already noticed that the younger kids are going to take some work, but I enjoyed teaching and will be doing this once a week in the Primaria. 

 That same night I went to a charla my socia, Pierina ( who just turned 22 and is a child psychologist), was doing on the importance of family. I was completely BLOWN away. Her presence and ability to have the parents of the families interact with her was surreal to watch. I knew right away that she would be my link to sustainability. She not only is ALWAYS punctual, but she is able to conjure participation with the youth and parents in Tamarindo. I went to bed that night so excited to get projects started.
My socia, Pierina, and I during site visits.
Things are really looking up over here in Peru, but I really do miss everyone so much. Start sending emails and snail mail! I enjoy all of them!

Special thanks to AJ Hall, Jack Davis, Ronni Bruno, Amanda Cuppi, Casey Jane and of course MOM AND DAD for the care packages and computer charger that are on their way. You guys make being away from home easier every single day.

 If there was something else that struck me this week it´s that I´m unbelievably lucky for everyone that I have in my life & I don´t know where I´d be without you all. Your support has never gone unnoticed.

“I know now that true charity consists in bearing all our neighbors'defects--not being surprised at their weakness, but edified at their smallest virtues.” -  St. Thérèse de Lisieux

Until next time,
Brielle

1 comment:

  1. The Happiness Project was inspiring and very fun to read. I go back to it again and again. Gretchen's internet notes are wonderful. I feel blessed to have found this author

    ReplyDelete