September 04, 2011

Cumbia Music, how I love to hate you.



ANA, TE GUSTA CUMBIA?!?????!!!!!!!???!!!!!!!!!

My relationship with cumbia music started out extremely rocky. I blame it on the fact that the first time I was in Tamarindo there was a fiesta... and I went to sleep unpleasantly to cumbia music that felt like it was blowing up my bedroom. The cumbia music didn't stop until 5am... because thats obviously when town parties are suppose to end. Normal, completely normal. 

But the cumbia music doesn't stop there. It plays in the back of mototaxis, in the tiendas, in my living room on a decibal not meant for human ears, and I wouldn't doubt if it's playing in the chakras. I can see my host mom breaking it down in the rice fields right now.
For those of you who don't know what a moto is... here is a picture.



Completely normal mode of transportation here in Peru, especially in Piura. They are basically extremely unsafe and they make my feet feel weird when I ride them, and I prefer to take a taxi... but sometimes the only option you have is a moto. 

Anyways, back to the real subject of this blog. Cumbia music is an extreme favorite at bailes and what do you know... Tamarindo had its very own baile last week for its' anniversary. Along with being so confused about what was going on all week... I was comforted as soon as the speakers were set up in the plaza de armas and the earthquake began. By earthquake I mean the cumbia music that was blasting so loud the buildings were shaking. I danced the night away with some people from the muncipality and health post, and found myself humming cumbia on the way back to my house (that is better known as a farm). 

I'm now humming cumbia music. What is my life coming to? I'm also putting mayo on my rice to spice things up a little bit. Peruvians LOVE their mayo here about as much, maybe even more, than they love their cumbia music. 

Now I know what you guys are dying for... some CUMBIA MUSIC. So- here you go. Hope you are all humming it and adding mayo to your rice after listening to this.


Now, my mom has been yelping about how she wants me to update more pictures. I PROMISE I will get to that this week. I know you guys can't wait to see my little, tiny, sandy pueblo of Tamarindo!


We wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfillment.  ~Hilaire Belloc


Until next time,
Brielle



No comments:

Post a Comment