October 07, 2011

David



Today was a good day. 

Despite my English classes being canceled for no apparent reason and despite the heat being almost unbearable, I’ve had a good day.

One of the reasons being that my future husband, Scotty McCreery, has released a new C.D. (Thanks to Poppa Colby I’m currently uploading his new album into my ITUNES). For those of you who are unfamiliar with my favorite underage country crooner… here is a little sample with his single “Trouble with Girls” from his NEW C.D. “Clear as Day”.




The second reason would be that I have the greatest family (I can hear my dad’s sarcastic remark as he reads this. No DAD, I’m not looking for money haha ). It’s no secret that the adjustment to site has not been easy for multiple reasons, but I’ve had nothing but unwavering support, advice and love from back home. This includes the moments where I call to yell about my aggravation in my site to silly petty issues going on back in the States (yes, there are times my problems don’t just exist in Perú). I received multiple boxes of snack foods (to avoid Juana’s rice, sorry Juana) and clothes to help get me through what is going to be a pretty HOT summer. So, if I don’t say it enough Mom and Dad, THANK YOU! Not just for your awesome care packages… but for everything in between and most of all: your unconditional love.


The third reason: one of my favorite people in Tamarindo is working in the municipality today. This is where the point of my post begins.

David. I met him during site visit, and his exterior (quite large and sometimes scary looking) threw me off a little. David was the man who drove the mayor’s truck around (and me during site visits) and many times I was left alone in the car with him as my mayor ran errands, and the first time this happened I prayed David wouldn’t talk to me. But for anyone that knows David knows that there really is no avoiding this large Peruvian. He really can talk your ear off. I learned his life story in no time.

 He was a man, with a wife and 3 kids (and one on the way), that once lived in Mancora (a touristy beach town about 3 hours away) working for “gringos like you Aná.” He told me he worked around the house and cleaned their pool and was treated very much like family for 5 years. He cried when they decided to go back to the States and keeps in touch with them as frequently as he can. He later moved to Tamarindo because it was more slow paced and he needed to find another job to support his family.

David and I in Patia during site visits
I never understood during that week why David insisted on screaming slowly in my face when speaking Spanish, but he later told me that he did that to help me learn. I watched David almost start crying when he thought he lost my wallet during site visits, and later when we traveled he carried all my personal belongings to prevent a scare like that from happening again. “Crazy Aná, you are so forgetful.” (Me? I always remember to take my credit cards out of the ATM)

 Before I left to go back to Lima, he pulled out an old medal of a saint from his pocket and said “I will no longer be driving you around in the car, but please take this as you travel. It will keep you safe. My faith is very important to me. Please keep don’t lose this.” I do have to say, I was touched.

When I came back to site David had a new job: security guard in the municipality twice a week. I often find my way to the municipality, but the days that David is there it’s different. The place is much happier, and I find myself laughing more (Me? Laughing? Crazy).

David and Juan when he was stilling drivin' the whip around.
David was the first person in Tamarindo that treated me like a normal person rather than the “token gringita” walking around. I always get greeted with a HUGE bear hug and a David like smile. After a week in site,  I got the privilege to meet his wife (who he is so very proud of and talks about on a constant basis) and the new baby girl. He constantly asks how my family is back home and when he will get to meet them (Mom and Dad he’s very excited to meet you guys).

I’m starting an English class for adults once a week at night for those who want to learn. It’s a way to get to know the adults and parents in the community and so far I have about 30 people signed up (including my MAYOR), but the one person I cannot wait to teach is David. He’s been asking me for a month straight when he will get to learn English from “Miss Aná.” You often hear volunteers saying you find “your things” to help you get through the lows and David is definitely one of them (even my site neighbor Kelsey can attest to this). His personality is contagious and you can’t help but be in a good mood when you are around him.

I’m thankful for people like David, he has taught me not to judge people right away because they might just be a gift from the Big Guy upstairs. Peace Corps is about helping and teaching others, but more and more I’m realizing that the experience is helping and teaching me.

So here is to all the David’s in the world. Don’t shut someone out before you get to know them because you never know how awesome that person might be. So awesome in fact, that they sit down to take some PhotoBooth pictures with you.
the man.
He was in awe of PhotoBooth

P.S: As I was typing this post David was screaming in the municipality, holding the remote control to the T.V. saying  “Aná, I think a show you like is on. Glee? I’ll leave it on for you.” Thank-you, David.  I do enjoy Glee.

So, today was a good day even with its’ little bumps. I got to spend the day with David and finish my day off with a very entertaining episode of Glee.

"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible. It is yours." -Ayn Rand

Until next time,
Brielle

No comments:

Post a Comment