October 20, 2011

Update just for you, Mom.


I’ve come to the conclusion that if I don’t blog almost daily I am most certainly going to receive a phone call or Facebook message or email or telegram from Teri-Lee (better known as Mom) demanding an update.

I want everyone to know that it can get difficult to blog because sometimes you feel like what your doing is either
A. too boring to write about
B. life is becoming normal and the things that were once really weird aren’t anymore.
C. it’s hard to put into words what is even going on

However; despite all of these things. I’ve decided to update.

This blog post is being written for a very dedicated reader: my very blunt and fantastic grandmother: this one is for you Grandma Jinny. She has recently told me that she could almost recite all of my blog posts back to me. It’s nice to know that someone out there in the blogosphere is taking the time out of his or her day to read my ramblings. So Grams, this one is for you. I miss our weekly lunches at LuLu’s and can’t wait to start them up again in 2013.

Grandma Jinny and I at my graduation from Penn State
 So a little update on my life here in Sandy Tammy (my new nickname for my site). The first three months are meant to get to know your community so that at the end of it you can write up a Community Diagnostic. So, as of late, I’ve been trying to get some of that done. This means making up surveys, doing interviews and other things to get useful information.

I attended a 5 hour meeting type thing about “Education Problems in Tamarindo” a few day ago and I thought I was going to be BORED OUT OF MY MIND, but I was pleasantly surprised.

 First off, I need to point out the meeting was suppose to start at 8am, I looked at my clock when the meeting really started… 9:37am. Oh how I love LA HORA PERUANA. Punctuality is a huge issue in Perú and can often be really, really frustrating for volunteers.

But back to the meeting: I was able to get some really useful information on what is lacking in the education system from the view points of students, directors and other leaders in the community. I left the 5 hour meeting knowing that I was moving along with my community diagnostic that I have to present to my group of peers and Peace Corps staff in Lambayeque in a few weeks.

I’ve been suffering, as most of you know, with a weird stomach disease that I now know the name for: GIARDIA. It’s a wonderful little parasite that will hopefully be cured as soon as I take the prescribed medication. I’m glad that all finally got cleared up because it was really starting to affect my daily schedule.

I’ve had a really good morning so far. I had a meeting with my favorite socia Pierina and we have TONS of charlas and different events in the works for the rest of October and November. Things are starting to get rolling and I’m really starting to enjoy my Peruvian friends here in Tamarindo.

Today is my first English class (has been postponed for multiple reasons) for the people in the Municipality and adults in my town. I’m really excited to do this because I know that it will help me build confianza with members in the community that will later be able to help me with projects. I will hopefully have a lot to write about this class- because I plan on making it super freakin’ fun. There is close to 40 people coming. The chances that my class actually starts at 7pm is really slim.

It’s just another day in the life of a Peace Corps Volunteer. I woke up this morning to my host brother blasting (by blasting I mean you guys could probably hear it in States) “Bad Romance.” Just so happens I love that song & my favorite coverband, Go Go Gadjet (www.gogogadjet.com)  does a wonderful version of it. It is also Jeff Tomrell’s birthday so today he gets a shout out (Happy Birthday, Keep ROCKIN’ on!) 

I write this post as I’m sitting on my front porch lookin’ out at the live cattle passing in front of me on my dirt road. Despite the challenges- I really do have the coolest job in the world.

Please read this blog post by my site neighbor and closest friend in Peace Corps, it’s a good one! http://perusinginperu.blogspot.com/2011/10/you-arent-in-kansas-anymore.html

 I leave you with a  quote from a book by Nicholas Sparks. I just finished his new book “The Best of Me.” Good, light read.

I have faith that God will show you the answer. But you have to understand that sometimes it takes a while to be able to recognize what God wants you to do. That's how it often is. God's voice is usually nothing more than a whisper, and you have to listen very carefully to hear it. But other times, in those rarest of moments, the answer is obvious and rings as loud as a church bell. -The Last Song


Until Next Time,
Brielle

No comments:

Post a Comment