September 10, 2012

Huancabamba, Medical Checks and Year 2 Starts

I’m sorry for my lack of posting. I have been a bit busy over this past month. If it weren’t for the incessant emails from my mother saying nothing more than “UPDATE BLOG PLEASE” I probably wouldn’t have gotten around to this. So, enjoy!

When I returned from the States it was time to celebrate Fiestas Patrias. I, along with a few other volunteers, decided to explore the mountains of Piura. We went to a town called Huancabamba or better known as the “Poor Man’s Ancash”. It was incredible. At times I had to keep reminding myself that I was in Piura. There were rolling green hills, lakes and waterfalls. The peaceful, sierran town was exactly what we all needed. One of the days we took a 3 ½ hour hike to Lake Shimbe where some volunteers were able to participate in a Shaman ritual. Then, only the brave jumped into the nearly freezing lake. The views and company were a great way to celebrate this holiday in Perú.

We welcomed the 7 new volunteers from Peru 19 to Piura and then it was off to MEDICAL CHECKS! Holy crap! I made it a year in site in Peru (with a little bit of a site change thrown in there). Med checks were great because it allowed all of Peru 17 Youth Development to finally all be in the same spot. This hasn’t happened since November of last year. To say the least I missed my friends that had been scattered all over Peru. We pooped in some cups, presented our 1 year successes, planned for our 2nd year and celebrated the fact we were all still in Perú.

So now it’s time for year 2 to start. Let me tell you, it’s already looking better than year one. I came back and my Pasos Adelante classes started in Vice! I was able to pull the class off with the help of my sitemate Jessica and my amazing socias Ely and Lorena. I was really proud of the kids. They were participatory and honest. I couldn’t have asked for more. I’m excited for what lies ahead in these classes.

I have also decided to start a Creative Writing/Reading Comprehension class with 11-13 year olds in Vice. The school was given 20 new educational laptops. In order to use both creativity and technology together I asked Jessica to come and teach the kids how to use the laptops. Our first lesson was with the book “The Giving Tree”. Creative thinking is not something that is taught in the Peruvian school system. For the most part, the kids are used to copying down everything the teacher writes on the board without having to use any of their own ideas. I decided to read the book to the kids, ask a few questions and have them create their own giving tree. The kids had to write, inside a leaf, about a time someone was generous to them. I had Jessica give an example. Most of the kids, not all, copied exactly what Jessica had said. I knew that a Creative Writing class was not something that was going to go perfectly on the first shot. I was, however, impressed by the kids’ behavior and participation. They were quiet, colored, raised their hands before they spoke and created an awesome tree to hang in their classroom. It didn’t go perfect, but I was satisfied with the first class.

Then there was the 2nd class. It was like night and day.

As most of you know, my patience wears thin… quickly. These kids were bouncing off the walls, could barely pay attention to what I was reading and stared at me blankly when I told them the assignment. They were more anxious to run to the bathroom than to color the leaf that was in front of them. I started to feel really down. I couldn’t understand how the first class was so drastically different then the 2nd class. By the end I was exhausted and not sure if I was really doing something worth my time. I knew I was taking on a lot by doing a creative writing class with these kids, but I was not ready for the utter chaos that went with it. I wasn’t even angry at the kids. I was angry that teachers and parents even allowed it to get this bad. After a few encouraging words from friends afterwards I have know that the most I can do for these kids is show up, every Wednesday, and not give up on them. I may not be able to get them all inspired to write their own short stories by the end, but I hope to at least get one persons’ creative juices flowing.

And, here is my favorite part of year 2. Jessica and I are both communication majors and it finally came to us to use our specialties. We now have our own RADIO SHOW (complete with a DJ booth, it really is very official) every Friday from 10am-11am. It is going to be called “La Hora Gringa”. We’re going to be discussing some topics for youth, parents and playing some great music. I’m about to be famous, people.

Now, here, as I always promise, are some pictures to prove to you I really am in Perú volunteering and not sitting on a beach with a cocktail in hand like my dad thinks!





Ladies in Huancabamba, Piura
Rolling green hills!
Lake Shimbe
In front of Lake Shimbe
Hanging out
Lake Shimbe

Kelsey and I at Med Checks!
Peru 17 Youth Development making it 1 year!
Teaching Pasos!
Pasos with the girls!
Pasos with the boys.

Creative Writing class with 6A!
The boys of 6A!
Some of the girls of 6A!
6A!

Teaching creative writing!


6A's Giving Tree.

6B!

Some of the girls from 6B!

Little faces 

Faces of 6B!

                                                         Inicial kids.

Then I went and visited the host family of a past volunteer in San Clemente. The town is a short moto taxi ride. I took some photos of the sweetest little girl Angeles. She is the host sister and goddaughter of past volunteer Libby Salerno.

Angeles
                                                
Precious!

Angeles and I

Hope you enjoyed the photos!



Until next time,
Brielle

No comments:

Post a Comment