August 02, 2011

The Baby Goat I Had for 2 Days...

Rest in Peace
This is how I know I'm starting to really get my sea legs in Peru. I woke up one morning, opened my door that leads in to the kitchen, and found this creature walking around. My host family was going about their normal business... like it was completely normal to have a goat just out the womb walking around the house. I proceeded to get dressed and eat breakfast; also acting like this is completely normal because I'm no longer suprised to wake up to new animals. We got rid of all the ducks and accumulated 2 new bunnies along with the baby goat. 

I brought the goat on skype for my parents and for my friend Amanda back home. Amanda made it clear to me that it is not normal to be holding a baby goat in my bedroom on Skype. Really? That's not normal? Who knew? 

I went about enjoying my 2 days off for Fiestas Patrias (Peru independence day and the swear in of the new president Ollanta). A day later... I walked up to the roof to find the baby goat gasping for air in the heat. I asked my mom what was wrong and she very blatantly said "oh it's dying". Oh, ok. I'm just going to sit here and watch this animal die. I'm not quite sure why it died... but I'm sure it has something to do with maybe a new goat shouldn't be living on the roof of a house in Peru. Just a thought. As you can tell, I didn't mention the name of this goat. It started out as Lucas and a few hours later it changed to a girl name. But whatever the name. RIP little goat.

Anyways. On a happier note... I FIND OUT WHERE I'M GOING TO BE LIVING AND WORK FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS IN 2 DAYS. Wednesday is a big day here in Santa Eulalia and I can't wait to share the news with all of you. This weekend I will be traveling to my site to visit it for a week. After site visits, we have a week before swearing in! Training is literally flying.

Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that. Shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass. - Fahrenheit 451

-Brielle 

No comments:

Post a Comment