August 04, 2011

PIURA VIDA

I will be spending the next two years of my life in  Tamarindo, Piura-Peru. (Look near the coast of Piura.. above La Huaca)


This was probably one of the coolest days of training we have had so far. The day started off with 3 hours of language training- where basically everyone wasn't paying attention because we knew our fates would be decided later that day. Business and Youth were brought together in Santa Eulalia for the day- and around 1pm the fun began.

The great tech trainer- Lindsay- made a great scavenger hunt for us to find out our sites. At the end of it all I found out I ended up exactly where I wanted- Piura, Peru! It is in the North of Peru (where it's always hot) and it borders Ecuador. It also borders the other regions of Tumbes, Lambayeque and Cajamarca.

Tamarindo is a site VERY close to the beach and has about 3,000 people in it. I am about 1 hour and 30 minutes from the regional capital (that contains a Starbucks, and about 20 minutes walking distance from another Peru 17er, Kelsey, and a little farther away from another Peru 17er named Kyle. I will have an opportunity to work with special education students, which I'm really excited about. 

My host family has a mom, dad and 2 sisters: one that is 23 and one that is 14. I can't wait to meet them! I will be visiting my site on Sunday for the week. I'll be meeting my socios (counterparts that helps volunteers with their projects) and hanging out with the host family. 

After all of Peru 17 found out where they would be living for the next two years- we went to an amazing Italian dinner together. It was nice to have the Business and Youthies celebrate such an important day of training. 

The slogan for Piura is "Piura Vida" and I've only heard great things: one being that it is SUPER HOT all the time. :)I'm also really close to a tourist beach called Mancora- where I'll be spending my birthday in March!

I've been thinking a lot lately about taking chances. And how it's really just about overcoming your fears. Because the truth is, every time you take a big risk in your life, no matter how it ends up, you're always glad you took it. -Scrubs

-Brielle

1 comment:

  1. Brielle, I love reading your blog! It brings me so many great (and honestly, odd) memories of my childhood in Peru. Have fun in Piura and Mancora is absolutely GORGEOUS! Just don't expect much after hours fun.

    Hope to read more soon ^_^

    Angie

    ReplyDelete