June 15, 2011

Mi Nueva Familia


( Sorry in advance. Im currently on my roof next to 15 ducks getting bad internet. I'll have wireless internet on monday in my house! Ill go back and add pictures of my awesome fam. Also, on the side is my new wish list for things to send me :) please read the directions on sending packages. muy importante!) 


All 52 of Peru 17 woke up and had our last breakfast all together. At 11:30 a.m. the Small Business Development (SB) trainees and Youth Development (YD) trainees (me) would be split up and be heading to 2 different training locations. SB went to Chacalacayo YD would be heading to Santa Eaulia. It was sad to say have to say goodbye to a group of people we had just come to really like, but we will be reuniting for 4th of July and other holidays and days during training. We boarded onto our busses and went to meet our new host families. I’ve not been nervous about this entire experience until this bus ride. I’m pretty sure I was shaking. My Spanish isn’t that great and here I was heading off to a new family where all they would speak is SPANISH!

Once we got the training center we were separated into groups and our names were called and matched with host families. When the language instructor called my name I heard a screech of “MI HERMANA!” (for those of you Spanish illiterate this means “my sister”). She helped me with my bags and we were off to mi nueva casa (my new house). I got super lucky because my house is a 5 minute walk from the training center, and I don’t have to take a 30 minute bus ride like some of the other trainees.

In my house there is my host sister Melissa. She is 23 years old and guess what… she speaks some English. She is the nicest person and super helpful when I’m completely confused at what is going on. She has a boyfriend studying English in Lima and he is coming next week, but she told me I’m not allowed to speak English because I NEED to learn Spanish. 


 I have another host sister and she is 3 years old and the most adorable person, ever. Her name is Bryanna (pronounced BRIE ANA), and she repeats everything I say. I realized, too that I’m going to learn a lot of my Spanish from this little girl. (picture)

My host mom’s name is Carmen and she is… PREGNANT! 5 months along, and she knows she’s having a little girl. My host dad is a policeman in the town, which is reassuring. I have a room with a bed, a dresser, a side table, a desk and a huge ventana (window) overlooking the mountains and the main street.

The family has a dog named Dacha. Un perro (the dog), kind of looks like a cocker spaniel mix. Dogs just roam the streets here, much like they did in Honduras, and sometimes you have to pick up a rock to throw if they get too close. ALSO, my family has had 10 volunteers and I’m the 11th. This calmed me down because now I know nothing is really going to surprise them.

After all the introductions, Melissa helped me unpack and then we had dinner. My first meal was pollo (chicken) con arroz (with rice), lettuce (they put lime juice and sugar on this) and PATATOES. The Peruvians are all about the carbs… guess I’ll have to start working out. My host mom looked at me and must have noticed I was exhausted because she told me to take a nap. The nap lasted 20 minutes before I heard a band playing and people in the streets. I got up and looked out my window and saw a procession of a cross (Peruvian’s also LOVE their processions). I went into the kitchen and Melissa asked if I wanted to go. OF course I do! The procession was a ceremony of the cross. They bring the cross to a certain place and hang it up, the band plays and fireworks are shot off (pictures).

After the ceremony there is a town fiesta (party). Melissa and I headed to the party where I saw some other volunteers who had host families in the area. We all sat together and talked and most of the people were drinking beer. After a little while we were served sopa (soup) with pork in it. I was a little hesitant because we had been warned about street food, but I asked my host sister  and she said it was fine, but not to drink whatever they were passing out. It would cause serious stomach issues.  (For all of you reading this… I want you to realize all of this is going on in Spanish. I know you must be impressed. The few years of Spanish arefinally coming back). There were people dancing and a band playing. Around 10 p.m. Melissa and I went home and I went to bed. My first day of training would start at 8 a.m. sharp.

I could not have asked for a better host family for the next 3 months of training. They are very laid back and understand when I need my own time. I feel very safe here and content. It’s things like this that make me see more and more that I made the right choice. I’m falling in more in love with Peru every single day.

Also, looks like I'll be bucket bathing for the next 3 months. I love Peru. 

"Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the eye." -Helen Keller

-Brielle 

No comments:

Post a Comment