June 24, 2011

Where did Week 2 go?

Week 2 of Pre-service training is over and the time really flew by. This week was one filled with frustration for me. Beginning of the week started out a little rough... mostly with Spanish classes. I find myself wishing I paid more attention to my Spanish classes in high school and college. I really want to learn this language now, and it started to feel like my brain was just shutting down. 

We had our Spanish classes in one of our classmates houses this week. This week our class was in Kyle's house. For those of you who took the time to check the pictures out... Kyle's house has peacocks and tucans and a pool. They also have the cutest puppy that I wasn't able to get a picture of because it kept running away from us. The birds speak Spanish. They were squacking HOLA at us every couple of minutes. Tutorias started this week. Tutorias are basically Spanish tutoring sessions that are more one on one at the end of the day. By the middle of the week the frustration started to subside. I will learn Spanish. Poco a poco.

I have to give a special shout out to the Peace Corps Medical Officers. They really are the best in Peru. Jorge gave us an awesome lecture on diseases on Peru that left most of us wondering if we were in real life? Contact me for more details on that. 

Today was my favorite day of the week. All of our Technical Training groups (TAPS) had to break off into 2 groups and create a fun game to play on Friday. My team did Red Light, Green Light and the prize was... TOILET PAPER. Very useful to PC volunteers. THEN, the language instructors showed us different ways people fiesta in different parts of Peru. One game was betting on what cardboard box a guinea pig (cuy) would go into. The next was a fiesta where people danced and chopped at a tree filled with presents til it fell down. It was nice to have a really relaxing Friday. We even got out early :) 

This weekend is going to be filled with fun. Our Spanish classes are venturing into Lima tomorrow at 7:30am and then coming back to have a little fiesta in Santa Eulalia for some of the volunteers at another volunteers house. On SUNDAY... me and a few other volunteers are going to make an American dinner for my HOST FAMILY. Should be interesting when they see a plate that doesn't contain rice. 

Overall, I'm still having an amazing time. There are always going to be the highs and the lows... the way you handle them is the key. The Peace Corps staff and other volunteers (and my support from those back home) are really amazing. OH I also forgot...I found out where I'm going to for FIELD BASED TRAINING in 2 weeks.... ANCASH! It's a 7 hour bus ride from the center. We are going to stay there a week and visit other volunteer's sites. I can't wait! 

Hope everyone back in the STATES are amazing :) Thanks again for all the love and letters and packages. I love getting them. 

"The days you are most uncomfortable are the days you learn the most about yourself." - Mary Louise Bean

-Brielle

No comments:

Post a Comment